It's important to do some maintenacne on your home as we head into the cooler months.
Here's some things to look out for on your Fall Home Maintenance Checklist from the DIY Network:
- Clean gutter & downspouts
- Check wood trim around doors, windows, decks, and railings with a screwdriver to check for holes or rot. Caulk holes or replace rotten areas as needes
- Give your home a fresh coat of exterior paint
- Inspect your roof
- Turn off valves to exterior hoses & drain completely to avoid pipes bursting; wrap taps if necesary
- Have your fireplaces inspected
- Wrap pipes that run along exterior walls to prevent them from freezing & save energy
- Clean & replace furnace filters
- Do you use a hot water heating system? Drain the expansion tank, check the water pressure, & bleed the radiators
- Check the insulation in your attic; is it installed properly? Is there evidence of moisture damage? Are there pests?
Lawn & Garden:
- Divide & move perennials; remove dead annuals
- Mulch perennials after first freeze- but remember not to cover the center of the plant, this can lead to rot
- Clean garden tools before storing away for the winter
- Trim dead tree branches & shrubs
- Rake up leaves to avoid grass dying over the Fall & Winter; leaves are a great item for your compost
- Aerate lawn
- Plant grass seed; certain varieties do very well in the cool Fall climate before Winter hits
Carbon Monoxide & Smoke Detectors
- Check these each Fall & replace batteries
- Make sure you install carbon mooxide detectors according to manufacturer's instructions for optimal use
For more details, check out the full article from the DIY Network here.
Is your home ready for the Fall? Thinking about selling? Let me help you sell your home fast & get settled into your new place as soon as possible! Contact me today!
Image Source: I Don't Want Your Love